Friday, January 15, 2010

Student Journal: Saturday

[written by trip participant and Goucher student Hannah L.]

On Saturday morning, most of us slept in due to sheer exhaustion. I, however, managed to drag myself out of bed to attend Orthodox services. While I myself am not Orthodox, I really wanted to experience a side of Judaism I have not been exposed to before in my life. I was lucky enough to have a fellow student, a modern Orthodox from JHU, help me out throughout the service, although we were both equally lost at some points! The service was beautiful and an exemplary example of community, spirituality and tradition. I loved watching and attendees engage in singing and in worshiping, particularly since the core similarities bound us across religious differences. This experience provided an incredible insight into this part of Israeli society.

No comments:

Post a Comment