Sunday, January 10, 2010

Student Journal: Day One

[authored by trip participant and Goucher student Ben S.]

Our Taglit-Birthright journey to Israel began upon our arrival at Newark airport in New Jersey. Any stress or concerns over the trip instantly abated as I left my parents, and was greeted by my friends from Goucher College along with the familiar faces from Towson University and UMBC.

After checking in and receiving an official Birthright water bottle, we got in line to speak with El Al officials. Personally, I took comfort in the brief interrogation because it showed the airline’s commitment to safety, especially given the recent current events surrounding airport security and travel.

With check-in finished and a relatively easy clearance from security, we waited for our flight. I enjoyed the wait as I got to talk with friends and meet those I had not talked with before all of which helped keep the nervous energy at bay. I also stocked up on American food for the flight and before I knew it, our group was called together by Rabbi Josh and Alison for an icebreaker.

It was great finally seeing everyone together before such a life-changing experience that we would soon be sharing. I know that the memory of my trip to Israel will remain forever with me, and it is truly special to be sharing the experience with forty other people from all over the United States.

By early afternoon, we boarded the plane. I was instantly struck by the sheer size of the aircraft as I haven’t really traveled outside of the United States for quite some time.


For the next eleven hours, I kept busy by alternating between snacking, sleeping, reading, talking with friends, and watching movies: a pretty pleasant experience overall. More importantly, I was fueled by my desire to finally get to Israel, a place that has had so much meaning to me growing up as a Jew in the United States as both my grandmother and mother went to the country years ago with their Jewish youth groups.

Before long, we arrived at the Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv where we were met by our trip’s coordinator, Rachel, our tour guide, Michael, and the Israeli soldiers who would accompany us for the next ten days.

After our welcome in Tel Aviv, we traveled by bus to a breathtaking view of Jerusalem where we learned about some of Israel’s rich history, and joined together in a welcoming ceremony. While looking over the scene with everyone finally together, I finally realized that I was actually in Israel on the journey I had been anticipating since the process began months before.

Next, we got back on the bus and drove a little farther to Park Hotel in Jerusalem. Despite having been awake for around twenty four hours already, there was a full day planned. We began with a tour of the Old City, including learning the fascinating history of various archaeological sites around the Western Wall. The idea that our forefathers had created such a magnificent structure that was still standing despite all of the conflict in Jerusalem was stunning.

Afterwards, Michael led us over to the Jewish quarter where we were given the chance to explore the area on our own. Most of the group, including myself, chose to eat falafel for lunch, which was an excellent choice. When we finished exploring, we arrived at a place Michael described as “the center of the world” as it is the joining together of the Jewish Quarter, the Arab Quarter, the Christian Quarter, and the Armenian Quarter. We spent some time playing an icebreaker (the second of the day), which was useful in retrospect because not only did it give us the chance to learn each other’s names a little better, but it also helped the group bond further. This same sense of community was solidified by lighting the Sabbath candles and singing together at the “center of the world” a few minutes later.

By around 3pm, Jerusalem’s atmosphere was visibly changing as people rushed to welcome in the Sabbath. On our brisk walk to the Western Wall, it was common to catch a glimpse of people working in their kitchens, preparing the night’s meal. Before long, we arrived at the Western Wall, an experience I’m sure every one of us will remember for years to come. There was such a tangible heightening of emotion regarding what we were about to witness with all of the religious and historical background that I was truly taken aback when we entered the holy site. With hopes for the future written on small pieces of paper, we had arrived, witnessing an enormous gathering of Jews the likes of which I have never seen.

Right at the foot of the Western Wall were throngs of people openly showing their emotion along with a raw kind of spirituality. Personally, I found myself very moved by the sheer emotion from everyone else, the joy, the intense prayer, and, basically, the unity of the Jews all around us. I know that this experience will prove pivotal in developing my Jewish identity in the coming years.

We left at around 5pm to begin with what turned out to be an arduous walk back to the hotel. Yes, Michael warned us that the walk would take around an hour and a half, but I certainly didn’t believe him. Not only was the walk a long one, but there were also some pretty intense hills to climb. Looking back, it added to the importance of the experience because, yes, could have taken the easy way out and simply taken the bus back, but instead we challenged ourselves physically, again growing closer as a result.

With Shabbat dinner at the hotel finished, our first day in Israel came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment